Olde Meadowvale Village is a Heritage conservation district, an area designated by the city of Mississauga under the Ontario Heritage Act for its architectural and historical significance.
It was founded in 1819 by John Beaty and his group of Irish immigrants from New York City. The farming village quickly grew and prospered. Saw, wool and flour mills soon sprung up. Wealthy mill owners built sturdy brick homes which are still standing today! The charm and beauty of this hamlet was recognized and protected by law. Meadowvale became Ontario's first historic district. The beauty and ecology of the historic Credit River is also protected by Credit Valley Conservation Authority.
Throughout the years, people have recognized the profound sense of place here and have known it was worth preserving for all of us!
Meadowvale has survived the transformation of urban growth, due to the transportation and water power the river provided. The Village has retained it's 19th century charm for a number of reasons including the building of the new Derry Road north of the Village.
You can find more interesting information about Olde Meadowvale Village in the book by Kathleen Hicks, Meadowvale - Mills to Millennium.
"Meadowvale Village Since 1836"